Thursday, May 17, 2012

Just Got Home From Rainier

I just got back from a somewhat successful trip to Rainier.  The plan was to climb the Ingraham Direct and Liberty Ridge route.  We weren't able to climb either.  Instead, we climbed the Disappointment Cleaver route and then decided not to try Liberty Ridge.

 The weather was great on Tuesday and early Wednesday, but the wind picked up later in the day and was supposed to continue for the next few days.  On the summit on Wednesday morning, the wind was so strong and cold that exposed noses quickly turned white and it was difficult to stand.  Our guess was probably 70-80mph gusts.  The wind intensified later in the day and a big lenticular cloud formed over Rainier.

Though my friend, Seth, probably could've cruised up Liberty Ridge in a day (he's soloed it in a day once before), I wasn't feeling nearly as strong as him (because I'm not).  I figured that me slowing our pace on Liberty with high winds and bad weather approaching sounded like a recipe for trouble, so we decided to postpone Liberty for a few months so I can get more training in.

Anyway, we got back to the Paradise parking lot yesterday afternoon, grabbed some dinner, and then drove home.  Seth and I drove non-stop through the night and arrived home this morning.  I haven't had a chance to sleep yet, so I'll keep this short so I can get to bed.  Pictures and a full trip report will be coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment