Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Citizen Series Skimo Race

Last night I had the opportunity to participate in one of the Citizen Series skimo races that are put on by some Salt Lake skimo guys.  I've read about them for a long time on various blogs (Andy Dorais, Jason Dorais', Jared Inouye's, etc) and have been wanting to participate, but a busy schedule with work and family have kept me from going until yesterday.

The format was a team sprint relay, with two people per team making 3-4 laps each.  One lap consisted of two climbs (probably about 3-400 vertical feet each or so), a booter section, and 3 transitions.  This was my first taste of skimo "racing", so I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was an absolute blast.  The casual atmosphere was comfortable to a newby like myself, everybody was friendly, and it was good to get my heart rate up in the clean air with other like-minded people.

I didn't get any pictures of the event, but for all those that enjoy being fit and skiing/ski touring, I highly suggest checking out these races.  They are free, fun, there's swag for first-timers, and pies for the winners.  It's worth the drive up to Brighton ski resort, even for those whose drive is a bit longer, like myself.

I can't wait til the next race on the 19th.

For more info on these races, check out:

http://citizenseries.wasatchpowderkeg.com

2 comments:

  1. Cool, sounds like fun. I've been following those same blogs for the last year. I'm pretty new to backcountry skiing, having acquired my setup last Jan. As I don't get out as much as I would like, I do get some satisfaction of reading about other people's climbing/skiing adventures. This season I've gotten out more with some resort skiing, skinning short laps up the mountain pass just behind my house, and took a level 1 avi course with the Alaska Avalanche School. Lately I'm trying to move into the "expert" realm of skiing. Reading the All-Mountain Skier and just ordered the Sofa Ski School DVD. I'm pumped! Although, it's challenging with two small kids (4 and 2) and the busy work schedule of a military pilot. Keep your site/posts coming. I enjoy your gear reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading. I don't have any kids yet, but I will soon and will start to experience the difficulty of balancing family life (with kids), work, and my mountain sport obsessions. Keep it up with the backcountry skiing. I've skied for years (mostly resort but some backcountry as well), but the last few years I have really started to up the backcountry mileage. It's ruined me (in a good way). I don't even like skiing at a resort anymore. I have become a major snow snob. If I'm at a resort, all my friends get sick of me complaining about how many people there are and how the snow gets skied out too fast.
    Hopefully the gear reviews will start picking up a little more. Work has been hectic lately but things are starting to calm a little.

    ReplyDelete